Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hearding Instinct

Have you seen that car rental commercial with the bison and the beaver? (Or is it a prairie dog? Or a gopher?) Where the bison can't help being a hearding animal and following the vacation group instead of waiting for the beaver (prairie dog/gopher) to get their car and pick him up.

What is it with rush hour traffic in Atlanta? - Wait... scratch that... it's not just rush hour... it's all the time!

I have to drive about 12 miles to work every day. I have the option of taking any one of at least 5 different routes to get there. Of the two best ways, I have the choice of either driving one exit down the interstate (30 minute drive) from the mall, or I can drive down a four-lane highway that runs parallel to the interstate. I choose the highway... want to know why? Because the sheep of Atlanta travel the interstate.

Even today, when there was an accident near the very part of the interstate that I would have had to travel, the sheep still hearded there... I took the highway, and there was almost no traffic at all during my entire trip.

Did I mention it PARALLELS THE INTERSTATE? In fact, I think the parallel runs almost all the way down to "Spaghetti Junction" (where the interstate meets the Atlanta perimeter), which means that if people would just get off the darn interstate and ride the highway, they'd probably save at least 30 mintues to an hour every time they commute.

Lemmings.

Of course, if they DID ride the highway, I'd have to add about 15 minutes to my commute every day, AND this blog post would be about having to sit in traffic. So I guess I'd better be thankful.

So thank you to all the sheep in the world. You make my commute so much easier every day.

Jen

No comments: