Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Posturing And Power Trips

Grrr.... Earl is on a power trip this morning.

A little background:

There are only three of us in this office; Earl, his wife, and me. We work in a small office park, and rarely see a customer actually in our store. Most of our business is done over the phone.
Earl always parks in the spot right by the door. So, out of respect, I never park there, even though I get here first. His wife parks wherever there's a spot, and I usually park across the way. He and his wife are always teasing each other about stealing "the spot" when he goes to lunch or a sales meeting.

He has a small truck that he keeps at the office for making deliveries. It's normally parked right at the front of the store, next to his car. The only other spot up front is handicapped, so it's always empty. But the truck was recently vandalized by copper theives who took the catalytic converter, so he took it home after it was fixed. That left an empty spot, so I began parking there. He never said a word about it.

Until today...

David traded in his Mustang (which I was driving) for another car this weekend. (We wanted something more "teen-learning-to-drive" friendly.) When he did, we switched cars. He has to drive farther than I do, and the new car gets better gas mileage than our V8 4x4 Sliverado. So now I'm driving the truck. (Which I LOVE, btw.)

Yesterday, I parked the truck in that front spot, next to Earl's spot. But I don't think he realized it was my truck, so he didn't say anything. Today, he noticed. He comes in with some lame line about how he'd rather leave the front spots for the customers and that I need to park that "big truck" across the way.

Now, in any other job, I wouldn't care...

But seriously... WHAT CUSTOMERS?!? They never come here! 95% of what we do is done either over the phone, via e-mail, or via fax. Another 4% is done by face to face sales, but it's always HIM traveling to the customer site, not the other way around. I probably actually see a customer once a month, IF that.

When I move my truck, one of two things is going to happen... the business next door is going to start using that spot, OR Earl's gonna bring back the truck and park it there. So who the heck does he think he's foolin'?

I think he just had a hard time getting out of his car this morning because the truck is so much bigger than the Mustang was, and he needed something to complain about.

Either that, or he's gotten some sort of complex because my car is bigger than his.

Twit.

No comments: