Friday, May 15, 2009

Catching up... Softball

Ok, so softball season just ended. Rhya had a good game yesterday (Thursday) where she walked twice and hit a sweet bunt toward 3rd in the top of the 5th. Not much happening in left field since the other team was pretty bad and barely got a hit. We won 12-0 and the Dacula Commodores ended the season 10-2 and league champs in their age braket. Tomorrow we head off to Stone Mountain for the team party. I haven't seen the laser show in YEARS so it should be really fun.

We played the Bama last weekend, and I was so proud of her - she got the game ball for that one.

We were playing a good game, ahead by three. Kayla slipped during one of her pitches and went down... it didn't hurt her, but it threw her a bit. So her next few pitches were off, and you could almost feel the tide turning a bit. The other team could feel it, too... smell blood, so to speak.

Rhya was in left field, and one of the girls hit a line drive straight to her. David and I both cringed, knowing she has a tendency to misjudge and then overcorrect and miss the ball. But this time, she was perfect... she stretched and caught it in the air, preventing at least one and possibly two runs from scoring.

It was immediate how the tide shifted right back and we were back in the game. We won, 3-1. She was disappointed because her hitting was off, but I didn't care... as far as I was concerned, and apparently the coach, too, she saved the game.

She's decided to play again in the Fall, and I'm glad. I regret not making her play when we moved... I think it's been really good for her. I hope she'll keep playing through her senior year and maybe even a little in college. She's talked about maybe coaching when she gets older. I hope she does. She has a natural affinity for helping people and for teaching. She's also thinking about studying education in college... probably music education.

I've been worried for a while that she seemed lost as to what to do with herself, but over the last few months, she's really started to get some concrete ideas, and it makes me feel a bit better about where she's headed.

And that's all I can ask for, right?

No comments: