Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Am I a grump?

Ok, I'm gonna get a little introspective here, so bear with me...

David made a comment yesterday that I haven't been able to get out of my mind. He was talking about the game on Friday and said, "You're gonna have so much fun... really! It's gonna remind you of what it's like to have fun!"

Huh? You just back that truck up here a minute, mister.

I know how to have fun! It may not be the same fun that he has, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun for me. He complains sometimes that I'm a grump and that I need to loosen up... I don't think that's true... I am not given the opportunity most time to "loosen up" because he's already loose enough for both of us and SOMEone around here has to make sure the kids are behaving, the house gets cleaned up, and the bills get paid. SOMEone has to stay behind and watch them while he goes to play tennis 4 out of 5 nights of the week, AND twice on the weekend.

And speaking of the game, he had the gall to suggest that we take the kids with us, because it would be fun for them, and his friend Christy and her husband have to take their kids, so ours could keep them company.

Again, back that damn truck up! Who do you think is going to get stuck babysitting those kids at the game? Him? Oh certainly not! He'd be partying and drinking with his friends and having a grand old time... I'd be the one stuck yelling at the kids when they get too rowdy or threaten to knock over the grill. I'd be the one stuck taking the girls to the bathroom every other inning. I'd be the one who had to remain alert at all times so that someone won't walk off with one of them. And he wants me to loosen up and have fun? Oh yeah... THAT'S certainly the way to do it.

No kids. I love 'em, but I need a break.

I just get a little irritated when he comes home from one of his matches and says things like, "it was a great match... tons of fun... you should have come... you would have had a great time". My responses usually include, " you told me the kids were too loud.... the kids didn't want to come...". I'm not making up excuses, but I think he thinks I am... the kids ARE loud, and he complains when it distracts him on the court, and many times they don't want to go watch the match because they can't cut loose and play. And if I leave them at home with Rhya, he complains that I'm leaving them alone too much. But then you have instances like last night... I had a meeting with the Comm Committee of our neighborhood at 7:00, and he e-mailed me to ask if I would mind if he went to a last minute practice with the tennis team. I reminded him of the meeting, and got a reply of, "Rhya can watch them for an hour or so, until your meeting is over." Yeah, so long as HE isn't inconvienced, life is hunky dory.

Ok, I AM being grumpy... but I don't feel it's without reason. You'd think he'd get a clue and realize that the only one I'm grumpy with is him. I don't know... maybe I do feel a little bit resentful. Don't get me wrong... I am very happy that he has friends to hang out with... all these years we've been married, it's been hard for him to find friends outside of work. He just didn't have any hobbies that facilitated it. And when we moved and he had to leave his one good friend in Columbus, I hated it for him. But I also hated the fact that I had to leave MY group of friends. And it's been much harder for me to make new ones to hang out with, mostly because I'm stuck HERE all the time while HE'S hanging out with HIS friends.

His solution for this whole thing? I should play tennis and start hanging out with him and his friends. Great. Besides the fact that I don't know HOW to play tennis, and would make a total and utter fool of myself, I'm not the "sporty" type. I love the outdoors, but in a "camping, hiking, under the shady trees" sort of way. Not the "out in the sun, sweating to death, running around a hot court" kind of way. Could I use the exercise? Sure... who couldn't. And just who, praytell, is going to watch the kids every Saturday, when we both have to play in a match? Are we going to leave them with Rhya every Saturday? Keep in mind that once the summer gets here, she will already be watching them all week long... doesn't she deserve a break, too? But he doesn't think of things like that. The grump has to think of things like that. The wet blanket. The cruel harpie that has to pull him back to earth every time his head gets too far into the clouds.

Great... now I'm depressed. Gee it's gonna be a great day.

Jen

2 comments:

Dawn said...

You are NOT being a grump! It sounds like a typical man.

Jen said...

Thanks, you guys. I appreciate that. :)