Monday, March 06, 2006

And the saga continues...

Let's see... what's new? Well, I called the "loss of value" adjuster (yeah... seems I have at least 3 adjusters working on our claims at any given time) at my insurance company on Thursday. He started spitting out some formula way too fast for me to copy down (it's bad when they have to defend themselves before getting to the point), and tried to make me believe that for the damage to David's Mustang, they owed us a "loss of value" check in the amount of $71.73.

I'll let that soak in for a minute.

$71.73 for a car that was in prime condition before the accident, despite being a 2000 model, AND that only had 57,000 miles on it, even though they average a car that age should have 100,000 (according to that formula he spat out), AND that had more than 50% damage to the value of the car, AND that is being fixed using "quality replacement parts" instead of new parts.

I made him stop, go back, and give me the formula again, slower this time, so I could copy it down. Then I made him go back and review his findings and get back to me, because his system was only showing 15% damage to the value of the car. I should hear back from him today. In the meantime, I got the check in the mail on Saturday. I refuse to deposit it until I hear back from him. Oh, and I also got one for my van... ready for this? $24.00. I'm beyond dumbfounded. I don't know why he is even bothering to send me THAT check, since the darn thing is totalled anyway. But hey, I'll add it to what they're offering for the van and deposit it just the same.

No comments: