No, really, I don't feel old... it just feels weird to say that I have a child going into HIGH SCHOOL this year. I mean, seriously! Didn't I just graduate myself, last week? Where the hell did the time go?
So anyway, today is orientation day and I'm taking the kids to meet their teachers. Rhya has to be there at freaking 8:00am for her orientation, so I'll be waking the kids up at 7:00 to get ready. Good practice for next week, though, I guess. And really, it's not nearly as early as she will have to get up for school itself.
The schools here are on a graduating time schedule. The high school starts at 7:30 and ends at 2:00. Elementary school starts at 8:40 and gets out at 3:20, and the middle school doesn't start until 9:30 and gets out at 4:00. It allows for the bus drivers to drive for all three schools, thus saving the county a small fortune because they have 1/3 the buses, 1/3 the drivers, and 1/3 the traffic that they could have. So if you're planning on coming to Gwinnett County and becoming a bus driver because of all of the free time you'd have during the day, you might want to go somewhere else... you'll be doing 3 times the driving you'd be doing in other counties.
Last year, Rhya was the last to get home every day. This year, she will be the first... that works to my advantage in two ways. 1.) No more aftercare!! She will be here to get Mia and Noah off the bus. 2.) She won't be here by herself during those crucial years when "latchkey" kids tend to get into trouble doing things they shouldn't. She will have responsibilities and a little sister who would LOVE to get some dirt on her and tattle to Mom and Dad at the slightest prompting. Mia is my eyes and ears, people... she ought to work for the CIA or something. She's that good.
So this year, my kids decided they wanted no more of the boring, same old, lame lunch boxes that everyone has. When did they decide this? When I brought home my Card Tin from my Archivers class.
Isn't it cute?!? Mine looks very much like that one. (We have some good teachers. Rhya's:
Mia's
Noah's
I still have to spray-seal them, and Mia has to do her ribbons, but I thought they turned out pretty good! Now to see if they will last more than a week.
That's it for now... I'm really sleepy. I woke up at 3:40 this morning and thought my clock said 5:40, so I went ahead and got up, only to realize a half hour later that it was only 4:10. Grr... it's gonna be a crabby day for me.
Jen
3 comments:
The kids did a great job on their lunch boxes - it is great that your creativity is rubbing off on them.
Jen, the boxes are realy cute....but I have to know, did youhelp noah draw the dinosaurs? They are so cute!
I didn't, but Rhya did. I'm sure he whined that he couldn't do it, and she probably tried to get him to, but he is a persistant bugger. So she probably just gave up and helped him. They've all gotten lots of compliments on them.
Post a Comment