Wednesday, August 09, 2006

So far, so good...

My trip was nice. I left about 7:00am on Saturday and arrived at my sister's house around 2:00. So I shaved an hour off of what Google Maps said it would take to get there. Of course, I'm told my BIL can make it in 6.5 hours, and that I was just being a wimp. :)

We had dinner at a really delish pizza place (Janis, I still can't get over those mushrooms and that salad!), looked for a movie, unsuccessfully, and then crashed on the couch for the evening.

Sunday morning, I went to church with Janis and got to hear her sing. It would have been nice if her mike had been working properly, but I think whoever it was running the sound equipment in the back realized there was a problem, because her mike seemed to get louder on the second song she sang.

I have to say, Janis, that your pastor was weirding me out a bit, though. I hate sticking out in a crowd, and since there wasn't much of one at the later service, it was SO obvious that I was a visitor. The whole time he was giving his speech about visitors and newcomers, he kept looking over at me! I wish I could have just said, "Please, quit looking at me and let me just stay anonymous and invisible. I'm only here for a few minutes to hear my sister sing and then I'm ducking out the back." Ok, so maybe it was a BIT of guilty concience because I wasn't staying for the whole service.

After church, we collected James and went shopping! She took me to a scrapbook store and a home decor place before we headed out to Grandmas. I loved hanging out with my sis! After that, we got on the road to Grandma's assisted living home.

It was fun to visit with everyone! I got to see my Aunt Carol, whom I haven't seen in several years, and I also got to see my cousin Ricky and his kids! I haven't seen Ricky in a WAY long time! And of course, I got to see my Grandma.


She celebrated her 94th birthday while I was there on Sunday. We had a Friendly's ice cream cake and sat around with the family talking in her room for about 2 hours. After that, it was clear she was getting pretty tired, so we said our goodbyes and my dad covered her with a blanket so she could take a nap.

We stopped outside the home and talked together for another few minutes. My Aunt Carol, who lives nearby and has been having to make a lot of the decisions concerning her care, since Dad is up here in GA, is feeling very overwhelmed. I can't blame her. I would hate to be in her shoes. She needed to get some thing off her chest about how Grandma has been lately and the things that she may have to decide here in the next few months. We tried to assure her that she shouldn't second guess herself, but I'm not sure how much good it did.

It made me wonder what it will be like in 20 some-odd years, Lord willing, when decisions like these might have to be made for Dad. Will it fall to me, since I'm the closest, or to Jack, because he's the oldest? Obviously, we will all want and need each other's input. It just makes me wonder how it's all gonna go down.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

That is great that you were able to be there for her birthday. She looks great for 94!

My thoughts are with you and your family!