Tuesday, January 17, 2006

2006...

Is looking to be a good year. I got some interesting news at work yesterday. Let me lay the scene for you, though.

It was a very quiet day because my co-worker, "R", left at 12:00 to take a half-day with her son (the kids were home from school yesterday for MLK). We're also winding down from the Spring Term rush. The image “http://photobucket.com/albums/v149/jensoll/smilies/bored%20or%20tired/th_I_13SL12.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Around 12:30, I get a call for my boss, "N", from "J". Now, the big boss's wife name is the same as "J", so I assumed it was her and went to tell "N", who was eating lunch, that she was on the phone. Turns out, it wasn't her, but the "J" that runs the staffing agency I went through to get hired there. ("R" works through them, too.) Well, I know that our financial person is leaving at the end of the week for a new job, so I figure they're talking with her to find someone new.

But you know how your brain starts working, the more you mull over something. I began to wonder if they weren't thinking of cutting back on the customer service staff now that it's slowing down some.

Then, about an hour later, my boss comes and asks me to "step into her office". And when I do, she asks me to "close the door".

I have a seat, with a feeling of dread in my stomach. And she could tell, so she said, "Don't freak out... it's nothing bad." I think I actually let out a sigh of relief.

Turns out, the big bosses had called her into their offices to discuss the situation with the accounting department. "T" was our one and only accounting person (aside from the CPA they use to do the taxes). She is leaving after Friday, and they have been interviewing last week and this week to find a replacement. But the more they interview, the more they realize they really want to hire from inside so they don't have to train anyone on how the business works.

See where this is going? The image “http://photobucket.com/albums/v149/jensoll/smilies/winking/th_tcwozerelinda2.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

They are offering me the opportunity to take over her job! There is absolutely no pressure, and no strings attached. If I don't like it, I can go right back to being a customer service rep and be happy as a clam. But if I do take it, it means a raise and a promotion, as well as an immediate hire into the company & out from under the staffing agency. That means I get vacation time/sick pay/benefits, etc. I would answer directly to the big bosses (who couldn't be nicer), and be in charge of the financial doings of the company. (Ok, I'll admit, that part is a little bit terrifying.)

I'm floating on cloud nine The image “http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/jensoll/smilies/happy/pinkcloud9.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. after meeing with the big bosses yesterday to discuss it. Things were said to me like "There is a very short list.... a VERY short list... of people in this company whom we would even think about for this job." and, "It speaks very highly of you that we though of you, and we know you can do it." and, "We need someone in this job that we feel has the personality to be able to work with us as a team, and that's why we thought of you." Yeah, ok... maybe they were pumping my ego, but I kinda liked it! The image “http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/jensoll/smilies/laughing/evil.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

So, for the rest of this week, I am going to be sitting in with "T" so she can show me the ropes. She's promised to teach me some "tricks of the trade" before she goes to make it a little easier.

I'm so excited!! I hope this works out. "N" seemed very excited for me. I don't know how "R" will take it, since I'll have to move out of my cube (next to hers) and into an office on the other side of the building. That's right... I said "OFFICE!!". I certainly will miss talking with her every day. She's my buddy!

The one thing that sticks in my mind with this is, "T" has been dealing with some very severe health issues over the last couple of years or so. In the past three months that I have been there, I don't ever remember her getting to work before 10:30 am, and there are some days that she just can't make it in at all. And most of the time, she doesn't work later to make up the slack. She just can't. So I have a distinct advantage in the fact that I CAN get to work by 8:30 every morning. I CAN work for 8 hours a day. So what she is able to get done in 4-6 hours, I will have 8 to do.

And furthermore, the scariest part of this job is the budget. I know that Budget time is crunch time, and that's when it gets crazy and hectic. She had told me one time about her first year doing the budget for them. She worked really hard to crunch all the number and make them all fit, and then had it all trashed and rearranged when she took it to the bosses. She was devistated and took it really personally, until she realized that it's all a game. A numbers game. Big Boss "D" told me that this year, they've revized the budget 7 times. And that's the key... the budget for this year is already done! So I have an entire year to get settled in before the dreaded "b" word comes up for discussion. The image “http://photobucket.com/albums/v149/jensoll/smilies/thumbs%20up/th_dblthumb2.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

The day to day, I think I can deal with pretty well. And I'll be dealing with the same customers I do now, but in a "monetary" sense instead of an "order handling" sense.

I know I can do it, but it's still nerve-wracking to walk into a new job like this. Even when you know that there are 2-3 people ready to jump in if I need help, plus a CPA who has remote access to my computer so he can see my screen and walk me through any issues I have.

Can you tell I'm trying to psych myself up for it? Sorry if this has been long winded and boring. Sometimes I just need to "talk" it out to myself.

Almost time to get ready. Better go so I can be sure I'm not late on my "first" day. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First - glad I found you -

Good luck on this job! I know how exciting it must be for you!

Dawn