Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hurricanes, bargains, and other stuff...

Previously posted on my other blog at 3:38 pm on August 30th, 2005.

Well, it's the day after Hurricane Katrina. She ripped into the Gulf Coast yesterday and they are still counting up the damage and loss of life. Just a not-so-subtle reminder of how we don't rule this planet after all. We haven't heard from Terri in the last few days, so we don't know if Reagan's kids (Mississippi) and ex-wife are ok, and my neighbor is waiting to hear from his brother (New Orleans, I think). Kacellia can't get in touch with her family, either, and she is terribly worried. Thankfully, it went around my family this time. I only pray that everyone else can get good news about their familes.

Found some good bargains at Ross today, not only in clothing (which is why I went there), but also a scrapbook (Daisy Hill Vintage 12x12 - $5.99) and a few cute little baskets for organizing stuff in my scraproom ($1.99 each). I'm proud of my clothes, too. I got a pair of dress pants, a pair of jeans, two nice button down shirts, a nice sleeveless sweater, AND a really cute ivory corduroy jacket for around $75! Can't beat that!

Why did I go shopping? Because I'm tired of looking like the frumpy mom! LOL! I very rarely buy clothing for myself. In fact, for a long time, I didn't buy any at all... TSYS used to supply us with a new T-shirt every couple of months, and I had all the work clothes I needed, so as long as I had that and my jeans, I was ok. Well, my jeans no longer fit me... they're actually too big, if you can believe that. I only have one pair that still fits, and I bought those only a few months ago at Walmart. And these t-shirts are really old, and are either too big or too small. I want to just toss them in the trash! Today was the last straw. I was looking for something to wear so I could take Mia out to the bus stop, and all I could find was my denim capris pants, which have paint stains on them, and an Easter Seals T-shirt from the TSYS softball game in 1999 (I think... I can't see the back of it now). I didn't have time to throw any make-up on, or to style my hair, and the wind is pretty gusty today. I shot a look at myself as I rushed out the door, and an instant wave of depression came over me. I looked so old and frumpy! Just with what I looked like this morning, I would have turned myself into What Not To Wear, in a heartbeat! So that's why I headed to Ross. I can't tell you how excited I was to find clothes there that actually fit me and looked good, too! Those of you who don't battle with your weight, you have NO idea how hard it is to be a plus sized woman trying to find stylish clothes. The clothes most manufacturers make for us are either old lady clothes (no offence intended, really, but I'm only 33!!), or they cost a small fortune, supposedly because they use more fabric. Hel-looo! I'm not the freakin' Good Year blimp, for cripes sakes! Anyway, I'm going to the expo this weekend, and I don't want to be the frumpy scrapper, either!

Speaking of, I'm so excited about the expo!! I'm taking 3 classes and acting as a teachers pet for 2, so Friday is completely booked with that, and then I'm shopping all day Saturday... it's gonna be great! I've printed off my coupons, schedule of classes, make & takes, and vendor info from the site, and I'm ready to go!

Better go get Mia off the bus... I think I just heard it down the road. I'm still updating my blog template, so bear with me on that. I'm learning the coding and all to do it with, so it's taking a little time.

TTYL!

No comments: