Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My little man...

Previously posted on my other blog at 8:53 am on November 8th, 2005.

I had a conference with Noah's teacher this morning. She was very complimentary! He seems to be progressing well with his letters and numbers, he can count to 20 perfectly, he knows how to spell and write his name, and he knows all of his shapes. What more could the mother of a preschooler want?

The only concern she had is how he tends to shut down if he gets frustrated or if any of the other kids are aggressive with him. And he does... I've seen it many, many times. If he can't do something, rather than trying again, he folds his arms and sticks the worst scowl on his face and plants himself wherever he is and won't budge. Sometimes he even growls at himself. Gee... I wonder where he learned all that from? She has been working with him on using his words to ask for help and on trying again rather than giving up. I need to do the same. Gotta nip this in the bud right now! I need to get David working with him on it, too. And as far as shutting down around aggressive kids, I'm working with him on that already. He needs to learn how to stand up for himself rather than backing off when he comes across a kid that wants to push him around. I would never EVER condone him hitting or hurting another kid, but he needs to learn some of David's great wit so that he can "use his words" to stand up for himself.

We've got our work cut out for us.

No comments: