Ok, so it's really afternoon already, but it was a glorious morning! We've had these nice temps for a couple of weeks now, and I'm just soaking it all in.
Haven't done much today, except scrap. I'm working on the new baby album, and also some DT stuff for In My Mind's Eye, and I haven't gotten much "straightening up" done. I'll do that later this afternoon, after I pick Noah up. Today is Karate day, so I won't have much time after getting Mia off the bus. And especially since David is on his new (old) hours (7-4) and gets home between 4:30 and 5:00.
I went to Mia's school this morning to deliver the snacks for her class (they're doing CogAT testing this week and her teacher wanted healthy snacks from the parents) and she pulled me aside to tell me that she had to talk to Mia about trying to kiss some of the little boys last week.
Well, apparently, one of these little boys went home and told his mother about it.
So, in an effort to calm this mother down, Mrs. Bales explained to her that it was innocent play and that she had contacted me to talk about it and that everthing was under control and it hasn't happened any more. The parent wasn't totally appeased, so the only reason she told me about it at all was because she didn't want this parent catching me off guard if she decided to call a conference or something. It was THAT unimportant to her in the daily goings on in the classroom.
Now, on the one hand, I can understand the initial fear this parent must have had... I have felt that fear myself, when Mia wandered off with 9 year old "TJ" down the street (at our old house) and I found out later that she had been in his house with him, even if it was only a few minutes. But that was a 5 year old girl wandering off with a almost 10 year old boy.
In this case, we are talking about 6 year old children playing on a playground at school in a supervised setting. I remember 1st grade... I remember chasing the little boy I had a crush on and trying to kiss him because it made me laugh when he said, "Gross! Cooties!" And I remember being chased by little boys with my friends because they were trying to gross us out by giving us a "smooch". And I know in my heart that this is all that Mia and her friends were doing, and so does her teacher, who was there and witnessed the whole thing.
I just don't know what to think... I feel sorry that this parent is so upset, but am I supposed to lock Mia away and not allow her to have any friends because she is overly friendly and likes to goof off?
She has a teenage sister who loves watching lovey-dovey-happily-ever-after movies where there is always a romantic kiss at the end (Princess Diaries, The Prince and Me, Sweet Home Alabama, etc.)... and she is a child who loves to role-play and act out those movies (as well as her favorite cartoons like Lady and the Tramp, and Cinderella... again, kisses at the end). She is completely boy crazy at the age of 6, telling me she thinks that Robin (from Teen Titans on Cartoon Network) is handsome... heck! At the age of four, she had Peter Pan as an imaginary boyfriend, and he would go with us everywhere. I had to put a blanket and pillow on the floor for him to sleep at night next to her bed, and he got buckled in next to her in the empty seat when we went for a ride in the car.
So here I was worrying that she was going to be a handfull when she hit 5th or 6th grade, and I'm already having to deal with this crap in 1st!
I just hope that this parent doesn't call some rediculous conference where I have to sit down with her, the teacher, and the principal to answer to her as to why my daughter tried to kiss her son. Because I'll be perfectly straight with her... "She thought he was handsome!"
Ugh.
Almost time to pick up Noah, who tells me every day that all the girls like him (he's been listening to his father a little to much!).
No comments:
Post a Comment